PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One word....Bangui...
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2013, 13:02
Phone Wind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The latest newsa is that the Seleka rebels have halted their advance and are taking part in peace talks. It may have helped that Cameroon and Gabon have sent in troops and Congo-Brazzaville is also expected to send a contingent.

I don't really know CAR too well, but it sopunds as if the Seleka are similar to Nigeria's MEND, basically several different groups of rebels who were offered an amnesty after the 2008 Libreville Comprehensive Peace Agreement. The Seleka rebels say the government has not honoured peace accords signed between 2007 and 2011 that offered financial support and other help for insurgents who laid down their arms.

One of the more worrying things about this rebellion is that it includes former members of the Central African Armed Forces (FACA), as well as Chadian, Sudanese and Nigerian mercenaries although the rebels deny this.

I couldn't see the former MEND militants coming together like this - mind you CAR only has a tiny army, unlike Nigeria.

For the sake of all the innocent people who just want to get on with their lives I hope a peaceful accord can be found as there's too much unrest already in this part of the world.

Last edited by Phone Wind; 4th Jan 2013 at 13:06.