PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free PT6A Training Material
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 17:21
MX Trainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ avionimc - I have heard a lot of diffent things about the design origin of the PT6 but a logging camp stove has never crossed my path!!!

The "PT" part stands for Propeller Turbine. The engine is also made as a "ST" engine - which is a Shaft Turbine. Used in helicopters - trains - snowblowers - trucks - boats - pumps - and cars. The "TwinPac" in the Bell 212 was unique in it's day as the combining gearbox - normally made by the airframe manufacturer -was made by the engine manufacturer.

As a side note - my understanding for the reverse flow design was that P&W wanted to be able to retrofit the existing piston engine fleet by having the ability to produce a firewall forward installation that was completely independent. Thus the forward exhaust system requires no modifications to the airframe like the transition tubes etc for rear exhaust engines.

One of the dumbest designs was the placement of the landing lights on the Twin Otter - Yup right behind the stacks!!

@ JammedStab The P&W 119 engine I know for sure has different directions for spinning the rotating groups.
Engine is a triple shaft - 2 spool engine.
High Pressure group - Clockwise rotation
LP Group - Counterclockwise rotation
Free Turbine group - clockwise rotation

FYI - a "spool consists of a turbine and a compressor. Turbofan engines often consider the Fan section a spool as the inboard blades are considered to be the first stage compressor. For some reason they don't consider a propeller in the same light.