PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser & searchlight attacks on aircraft (incl prison sentences on offenders)
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 10:59
Send'em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siloe Sid,

Apologies for the delay. I know pilots get a "knee jerk reaction" when anyone mentions lasers, so let's me explain a few things.

If you can see the beam (like Jedi Light Sabre) then the laser is up in the 200mW range or above. These lasers will cause you problems and are the ones usually green (because it looks brighter to the human eye) and held by a scrote. They are focused to tight spot.

The Greatland Laser Flare (Greatland Laser and note the instructions for use) is significantly different. It is NOT focused to point. If you shine it on a wall it projects a thin line and is about 5mW. This was designed by Jim O'Meara, an Alaskan freight pilot for signalling to aircraft from the ground.

It is legal in the US to shine this laser at an aircraft - because it was designed specifically for that purpose. It is not powerful enough to cause eye damage (because it is not tightly focused to a spot) beyond a few feet.
All the pilot perceives when it is shone at a cockpit is a distant bright red light source - there is no interference with vision, night vision, or the ability to fly. The beam is too weak to be visible as line through the sky (unlike the powerful lasers you are referring to).

There is further variant, the Odeo Flare, which uses 5 lasers, line focused, in a rotating head. Odeo Flare :: #1 in Laser Flares
At a distance it is a bright flickering light source. It does not make NVG flare, it does not have visible beams coming out of the head. As with the Greatland, it is only visible if you are looking at it.

I'm trying to keep this short but will happily add more detail.

Last edited by Send'em; 3rd Jan 2013 at 11:01.