PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Bagan Fokker F100 crash in Myanmar city - Burma (Photos included)
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 23:44
JFA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that KLM had a mix of 650-15 F100's with triple FCC and triple IRS, which was the top notch config available.

Also, FMS approaches are not allowed in the Fokker 100, but if used wisely, can make NPA's, specially NDB, much, much, much safer. You don't have to be in a 3rd world country to start an approach only to find your ADF needles just frozen. Happened to me more times than i would like, but you gotta relate all the information available to the crew and don't screw with the MDA.

I flew F100's with 3 AHRS over the Atlantic to the beautiful Madeira Island, it always found us that piece of land, but we had some drift events.
With 3 IRS's, if everything is checked out and operated correctly, you have a better gun than ADF needles, even after 150NM navigating only on IRS sources.
FMS navigation, like i said before, is a good source for cross-reference, on the Fokker 100, is a supplemental means of navigation.

I am sorry for the loss of life, my condolences to the families of those who where victims of this tragic event.

Last edited by JFA; 3rd Jan 2013 at 00:05.