PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 1st Jan 2013, 20:28
jandakotcruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Written by Namor...
The trainee argued that he was just stowing the speed early because by the high terrain closure rate he sensed through the radio altimeter, he had instintively stowed it earlier out of sequence BUT HE HAD SUBSEQUENTLY ENSURED THAT THEY WERE REALLY STOWED. The instructor maintained that was absolutely wrong! Follow SOP! The trainee then argued that in real life flying, he would NEVER EVER leave the speedbrakes deployed with such a reducing terrain closure rate as indicated by the fast reducing radio altitude, remarking that the exercise could be negative training. That must have riled that 757 hero! I was not sure if language problem ( the trainee was some south east asian chap ) was the case of the remark of negative training making the instructor upset, because the trainee might not have articulated it very well.
Absolutely correct, seat of the pants and great airmanship! I have had sim sessions whereby the F/O keep on charging down with full speedbrakes deployed despite my pre-emptive warnings about " altimeter alive " and excessive altimeter reducing rates! Once I took over and recovered from the impending CFIT before the GPWS warnings and was alo chided for it. I agree, it is absolutely NEGATIVE in establishing a certain mindset!