PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Type Rating with a faa private licence and then getting ATP, Can I fly?
Old 1st Jan 2013, 13:50
Victo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello 500Above and MarkerInbound. Happy 2013, hope the best for you this year.
I want to thank you for all this quantity of information you are providing me, i would never have expected to be so helped, you don't even let me time to look info on the internet, when I find something and come here with the doubt there's already another reply with the answer.
The big question I do myself now, is, what do I have to do with my logbook before starting all this american adventure? Because, for example, the JAA logbook has nowhere to log CrossCountry time, in fact I never heard of the concept of this "cross country time" before starting with all this. Do I have to buy an FAA logbook and start to fulfill it with the info on my JAA logbookk from the begining? But if I do so, what happens with the signatures of the instructors, examiners, stamps of training centres that I have on my old lokbook? Or is it enough to add X-C time in the Remarks column of my actual book?

Only logging the time that I'm 100% sure I went 50NM off from my take off point I have at least 900h crosscountry hours, this without counting flights I'm pretty sure that I could log as XC but i won't. It's easy to know for me with the hour of take off and the type of aircraft flown.. And for those hours I'm sure, it was always the same route, so I won't have any problem to tell the examiner where I flew. Thank you 500above for the three definitions of XC time, really nice from you.
I haven't started the TSA process, I'm gonna look it right now, and for the visa, as you say, I read that for time building I didn't need anything if I stayed less than 90 days than is much longer than I need.

For the shared night flight, you're right, it won't be easy to do it, with the "on the hood" pilot thing, so I'm preparing myself to pay for all the hours I need, and I'm gonna try the guy who employs me pays that and after takes it from my salary. The thing is I will have to pass the Foreign Pilot Instruments test, because I read that as the PPL licence I will be given is based on my JAA CPL licence, not having the "night visual" rating on it I can't fly night visual in the USA, so I'll have to do night ifr after passsing the IFP. What a pitty to go to the US flying and only doing it at night!

500Above, I'm going to look for the info you mention on the FAR-AIM, because if some of the hours Ï did on the B757sim at simulated night time could count as "real" night time, it would be money saved. I've read that some sim time can count for the 100 ifr hours, but I already have those, so I don't need to count the sim ones.

Well, thanks again guys, have a nice day!