PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach Climb gradient and missed approach requirements
Old 30th Dec 2012, 17:28
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlightPath...

It is similar, in fact is is the same, as Canada uses the FAA criteria, virtually an exact copy...all of that design criteria that you showed is TERPS...not ICAO 8168...
Yes, TP 308 is closest to TERPS but it's not a 100% copy... very close though.

The approach CAT is based on speed of the final segment. In both criteria.
I also dont understand the 50' reference to approach speeds. Neither TERPS nor PANSOPS uses approach speed at 50'...where is that coming from?
PANS-OPS references Vat speed and TERPS references Vref speed - they are essentially the same. Look up the definition of Vref. It's the speed the airplane is to attain at 50' above the runway. On the final segment, usually operators will fly at REF +5 to REF + 10 and do a slow deceleration so as to reach REF at 50' above the runway. Reference FAR 25.125(b)(2).

I understand all the circling requirements and distances, etc.

I think this discussion is about the speeds and categories that are applicable for those speeds - and the determination of the speeds.

It appears the FAA and ICAO use the Vref or Vat speed, respectively, to determine the category that the airplane is to maintain. Canada does not. Canada's rules, as I have referenced, state that the speed at which you are flying the maneuver at will determine what category you are to maintain.

9.G...

Look here: the whole bloody world goes by one single rule and Canada doesn't. Don't think so.
You're in denial, 9.G. I've referenced the applicable documents to show you that Canada doesn't follow the same rules as the FAA and ICAO with regard to this issue.

Last edited by italia458; 30th Dec 2012 at 17:30.