PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2012, 08:23
BAladdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention. BA does offer full service on all flights from Gatwick. There is nothing in the 'middle' about that. I also find the crews are very good. Myself I like paying the fare and not having to worry about the luggage extras and enjoy the complimentary drinks, snacks and meals. Prices are competitive too. Catering has actually improved this year.
One of the first things Keith Williams did when he took over the top job at BA was to appoint the companies first Managing Director for LGW with her own team of managers. They were given two years to prove to BA and IAG that operating from LGW was still viable. This has meant that there has had to be some major changes in how the operation is run. As a result all BA's ground services at LGW have been contracted out to much cheaper 3rd party companies, routes have been cut and cabin crew working practices re negotiated. All these cost saving will result in the LGW operation being a profitable one this year.

Looking ahead BA plan to operate at least 5 A319's from LGW next summer. BA plan to use the ex BD A319 aircraft that have been added to the fleet to operate from LGW. The aircraft are not as old as the G-EUP-, G-EUO- registered aircraft. The A319's will be used to operate all flights to ACE, PFO and TFS.

Other recent route changes for S13 that have only recently been made include:

AGP - Will increase from 27 to 34 x weekly
IBZ - Will increase from 7 to 10 x weekly