PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is an approach complete?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 15:27
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK465...

Look at Burnet, Texas (KBMQ) RNAV to 19, missed to a fix only depicted with no hold specified....unlike KBMQ RNAV to 01 with a missed to a specified hold. standard hold? why not depict it? you tell me
In post #38 I described exactly how you are to hold once you reach the missed approach holding point. The reference for that is in the Transport Canada AIM as well as the FAA AIM. As for not depicting a holding pattern at the MAHP, there are reasons for that. Recall the 3 holding entries I wrote in post #38. There are two entries that don't include hold patterns on the plate: 1) If nothing depicted, hold inbound on the track you arrived at the point at. In that case, the missed approach instructions would have told you to go direct the MAHP at some point. The obstacle clearance doesn't require you to maintain a specific track while flying to the MAHP so, therefore, none is specified and you're allowed to hold inbound on the track that you happen to arrive on. 2) If a track inbound to the MAHP is depicted, hold inbound on that track. In that case, the missed approach instructions would have told you to intercept that specific track at some point, to fly direct to the MAHP. This could be due to obstacle clearance requirements. They don't need to depict a hold pattern in this case as every pilot should have been properly educated to know how they're supposed to hold in this case before getting their instrument rating! If they just depicted a hold pattern and said go direct to the fix for the missed approach, the pilot wouldn't intercept a specific track to the fix which would be bad if there were obstacles that penetrated the required obstacle clearance areas.

Those 3 entry patterns are really quite straight forward.

This is directed at others who do not understand instrument approach procedures ---> There is always a missed approach segment for an instrument approach procedure. ATC expects you to follow that procedure unless they give you specific missed approach instructions. If you show me an instrument approach procedure I'd be happy to show you where the missed approach instructions are depicted!

Westhawk...

Good words!

Last edited by italia458; 29th Dec 2012 at 15:37.