PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Takeoff
Thread: CTC Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 12:10
DCS136

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all (first time poster).

I am in a similar position to you guys, I have passed 6 ATPL exams and will complete the remaining 8 next year (distance learning). I am looking to begin CPL.ME/IR full-time in early 2014.
I am also facing the dilemma over which modular training route to pursue when the time comes, but having looked at the lead time stated in the posts above if I want to use CTC I will have to make a booking soon.

My current plan is to carry out my training at a traditional modular school, followed by an FI rating to allow me to fly and build experience whilst trying to gain the elusive first flying job. However, I am currently 35 years old with a young family and a mortgage to pay. I have factored the low FI wages into my financial planning and will have saved enough to supplement the FI income for up to 12 months. After that time I will have to return to my old industry to make ends meet again.

The CTC Takeoff route sounds attractive, purely for the hold pool aspect and future employment opportunities. Being slightly older than the average candidate I am beginning to wonder if the CTC route would be better placed to provide me with well paid employment in a shorter time frame than my current plan. Although the course is more expensive, from a financial viewpoint it is actually better for me, I am fortunate that my employer has provisionally sanctioned a 6 month sabbatical in 2014 which would allow me to return to a well paid job straight after flight training whilst awaiting a hold pool call or pursuing other avenues.

My current plan of following the FI route was to allow me to gain further experience and keep current whilst job hunting which is something that I would hope the airlines still value.
Although financially the CTC route would be easier on the pocket in the long term.
What I want to know is, what do people do once they are in the hold pool? How do they stay current with their flying skills and knowledge?

Does anyone have an insight into the preferred path or any successes/non-successes from an airline recruitment point of view?

Are there any indications of a maximum waiting period in the hold pool?

Thanks