PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968...what would you do differently?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 11:46
Molemot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may return to the reasons for cancellation of the TSR2...some years ago, Radio 4 broadcast a late night series called "The Benn Tapes", presented by Tony Benn who had kept a diary, and then taped records, every day during his time in office. He described the circumstances resulting in the cancellation of the TSR2; since one of my relatives had been involved in the mechanical design of the sideways looking camera for that aeroplane, I sat up and took notice of what TB was saying.

The gist of it was that the Treasury had told the Cabinet that the country was broke and needed to borrow money...(nothing's new, is it?) So an approach was made to what was then called the World Bank...who said they'd have to ask the Americans. The Americans, in their turn, said we could have the money...providing we cancelled Concorde (thus leaving the SST field open for the Boeing aircraft). However, the contracts between the UK and France were copper bottomed water tight and there was no chance of effective cancellation...this was because HM Government had wanted to guard against the French getting cold feet! Once the impossibility of cancelling Concorde had been admitted, then the fall back position was for TSR2 to be cancelled, leaving the F-111 unopposed, and this is what happened.

After explaining this, TB went on to say that the true tragedy was that UK plc was actually trading itself out of the mire unassisted, and the loan that the Treasury had said was essential was never needed.....so the cancellation was for nothing, in the end.