PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is an approach complete?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 07:13
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some more esoteric pedantry for everyone's reading pleasure:

For most purposes, a circling maneuver included in an IAP would be considered a visual segment of an IAP. The manufacturer and certifying authority would consider the landing to begin at the threshold at 50' at Vref for the purpose of establishing landing distance for the performance charts. The ICAO taxonomy committee says landing begins when the flare is commenced. Some entities may consider any visual flight below the MDA of an IAP or pattern altitude if VFR to be within the definition of the landing phase. As near as I can tell nearly every organizational entity considers landing rollout to be within the landing phase and taxi to/from any point on an airport to be within the taxi phase.

Question: Why do they call it autoland if it's not part of the landing?

Seriously though, I'm not having a go at anyone. I'm just trying to make the point that terminology can have very specific meaning for certain purposes.

Before he became a big radio and TV blowhard, Rush Limbaugh wrote an interesting (to me anyway) book called The Way Things Ought To Be. IIRC, it was in this book that he made a very obvious but profound observation: "Words mean things!"

westhawk