PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach Climb gradient and missed approach requirements
Old 28th Dec 2012, 19:05
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doc 8168.

1.3 CATEGORIES OF AIRCRAFT

1.3.1 Aircraft performance has a direct effect on the airspace and visibility required for the various manoeuvres associated with the conduct of instrument approach procedures. The most significant performance factor is aircraft speed.

1.3.2 These categories provides a standardized basis for relating aircraft manoeuvrability to specific instrument approach procedures. For precision approach procedures, the dimensions of the aircraft are also a factor for the calculation of the obstacle clearance height (OCH). For Category DL aircraft, an additional obstacle clearance altitude/height (OCA/H) is provided, when necessary, to take into account the specific dimensions of these aircraft.

1.3.3 The criterion taken into consideration for the classification of aeroplanes by categories is the indicated airspeed at threshold (Vat ), which is equal to the stall speed Vso multiplied by 1.3, or stall speed Vslg multiplied by 1.23 in the landing configuration at the maximum certificated landing mass. If both Vso and Vslg are available, the higher resulting Vat shall be applied.

1.3.4 The landing configuration that is to be taken into consideration shall be defined by the operator or by the aeroplane manufacturer.

1.3.5 Aircraft categories will be referred. to. throughout this document by their letter designations.

1.3.6 Permanent change of category (maximum landing mass).

An operator may impose a permanent lower landing mass, and use of this mass for determining Vat if approved by the State of the Operator. The category defined for a given aeroplane shall be a permanent value and thus independent of changing day-to-day operations.

1.3.7 As indicated in Tables I-4-1-1 and I-4-1-2, a specified range of handling speeds for each category of aircraft has been assumed for use in calculating airspace and obstacle clearance requirements for each procedure.

1.3.8 The instrument approach chart (IAC) will specify the individual categories of aircraft for which the procedure is approved. Normally, procedures will be designed to provide protected airspace and obstacle clearance for aircraft up to and including Category D. However, where airspace requirements are critical, procedures may be restricted to lower speed categories.

1.3.9 Alternatively, the procedure may specify a maximum IAS for a particular segment without reference to aircraft category. In any case, it is essential that pilots comply with the procedures and information depicted on instrument flight charts and the appropriate flight parameters shown in Tables I-4-1-1 and I-4-1-2 if the aircraft is to remain in the areas developed for obstacle clearance purposes.

Last edited by 9.G; 28th Dec 2012 at 19:06.