PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968...what would you do differently?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 16:22
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
"One wonders how far requirements changed or indeed if at that time anyone thought that they even might?"

When we get tired of this thread re 1968 how about re-mustering it for 1986, the first time I saw mention in the press about a new Eurofighter thingy?

In light of world events since the late 80s, what would we have done differently then? (Probably most of the above comments would suffice).
Well maybe except that the Eurofighter is at least home grown and i'm not sure we scrapped an alternative Brit type in order to get it.... So aside from all that... Actually that question of mind came from a royal aeronautical society lecture by David Gibbings who - amoungst other things - was reflecting upon the EH101 helicopter project.

Cutting a long story short it was a concept that was borne out of an anti-submarine requirement in the 1970's, a threat which had arguably passed by its inception. That and the rapid rate of development in electronics and you have things that are a little long in the tooth before they are ever brought into service.

Upon reflection one wonders if that may have been the case with TSR2, given the all things to all men type role - although it is 1968 and I imagine unable to be rekindled by this time?

edited to add quote

Last edited by Pittsextra; 28th Dec 2012 at 16:23.