PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 15:00
Planeaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't Qatar say they were waiting for deliveries of new aircraft? I didn't think they would be waiting for deliveries of new A330s.

Plans to rename BHX Ozzy Osbourne International Airport anyone?
How ironic - I saw that in the news - I'm not sure I like the idea, then again we'll still refer to it as BHX so it won't make much of a difference.

However reported on another site, two more two class A332's are to leave the fleet early 2013. This leaves 22 A332's mainly three class configurations.
Well, I get the feeling EK would want to start the third daily service before the A332's run out as I can't see them starting with a 772/3, unless they would be willing to operate an A343 on the route if it can manage the runway length.

Over the years there have been quite a few routes from BHX that were top money makers...apparantley..

AA BHX to Chicago.. was 3rd highest performer after MAD & ?..
AI BHX to Amritsar.. Air India said made large amounts of money.. only stopped to save landing rights at LHR...

Both of the above no longer operate...
I'm guessing AA was the third highest performer after MAD and possibly Dubai. I don't think BHX really fought to keep AI, or at least get it back the next summer. They do seem to be vying for AA/Chicago however, it has recently been in the news with them realising the cities are twinned . After AA terminated in 2002, PIA struck up a service to Chicago transiting through BHX, which worked well until they brought out their 777s and moved to MAN instead.

Airlines like US Airways could have worked well if they sorted out these landing charges and, if they maybe decided to make it year round and had been more confident in it as they must realise they are struggling with attaining numerous US services in the long-term. Continental seems to be the only one that has worked, and that always seems to be full.

I guess it's quite unlikely we'll be seeing an India service in 2013, but it's possible if one of those three airlines sort themselves out. I think it's certain the A380 won't come until the runway is done.

It's quite a shame as with Air India, you would get 3 different 777s at the airport at a time (EK, PIA are the others) which not many other UK airports could manage, not even Gatwick.

2013 will indeed be an interesting year for new services. Still keeping a lookout for any rumours.