PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Type Rating with a faa private licence and then getting ATP, Can I fly?
Old 28th Dec 2012, 14:21
500 above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see why it should be a problem if it is a level D sim, but contact the training provider for confirmation.

And if possible and I did it, what happens with the Instruments Rating?
You already hold a full FAA multi IR, that won't be an issue, no more exams for that - just the commercial written.

The New York FAA field office covers us non USA based pilots I believe. You could always ask them.

New York City FSDO Contact the Office

[quote][Hello 500Above, thank you very much for your message. So, if I understand correctly, if I do the full ATP check ride on the next recurrent training, the Type Rating I had obtained with my private licence will allow me to fly commercially the plane. That's ok for me./QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct providing you have the written ATP (can do it in FSI Le Bourget or Farnborough, England) and complete the hours requirements. Have you thought about simply putting it on your JAA/EASA licence also? There may well come a day when they make us do that anyway to fly in Europe, even on an N reg. Not so for Africa or the Middle East though!

. They told me I would have to fly 50h for insurance with another pilot before flying alone, that's all.
If it is your first jet or if you are low time the FAA may impose a supervised operating limitation. This can be removed at any field office on production of your logbook and a letter from the chap supervising you for the 50 hours on type that the insurers/employer have imposed on you.

Last edited by 500 above; 28th Dec 2012 at 14:28.