PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 28th Dec 2012, 10:13
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French pilots union demand that Airbus change the following:
* Get rid of ALT 2.
* Get rid of AutoTrim in all modes bar Normal.
* For UAS, jump to Direct.
* AutoTrim when values are extreme, aural warning à la MD-11 "Stabiliser Motion".
* Rethink A/THR and non-moving levers.
* Link SSs.
* Replace Vector Stability with Speed Stability.
* Abnormal Attitude needs to be re-tested as it didn't function properly in Perpignan.
As a former Airbus pilot, I intended and managed to leave this technology, being convinced that it is not safe enough.
I had always asked for some of the above, plus the "instant direct law button", enabling to get away from wrong protection.
I am happy and comforted today, after being constantly belittled by the AB-lobby, that an union of pilots that fly such aircraft finally ask for some common sense.
We should have done that long ago, unite and ask for implementation of an apparent safer solution.

It did certainly not need the cynical QED written with blood. All the responsible that withheld improvement of the system, and still refuse to see its flaws, should go to look at themselves in the mirror and try to convince what they face, that such a union of professionals must be wrong.

Thanks dear colleagues, it's in Airbus' and the regulators hands now.

Last edited by Gretchenfrage; 28th Dec 2012 at 10:15.