PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Air France incident
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 09:01
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears that the NTSB believes as I stated above.

As a result of the investigation of this accident, the National Transportation Safety Board makes the following recommendations:

To the Federal Aviation Administration:

Require that all 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91K, 121, and 135 operators establish procedures requiring all crewmembers on the flight deck to positively confirm and cross-check the airplane's location at the assigned departure runway before crossing the hold short line for takeoff. This required guidance should be consistent with the guidance in Advisory Circular 120-74A and Safety Alert for Operators 06013 and 07003. (A-07-44)

Originally Posted by PAXboy
But the NTSB has to produce endless lists of checks. if they go for KISS then any fault that occurs will be countered by lawyers, "You didn't tell them" eventhough the response is, "They are/were pilots, employed by a company with legal obligations blah blah." If you have laid out a zillion rules and something went wrong, "We did all that we could."

For NTSB and similar organisations, this kind of action is a SOP.
I wonder who has more credibility on the issue...the NTSB or a non-pilot named PaxBoy. I suggest the NTSB recommendation for verifying runways prior to entering for takeoff is a credible recommendation. Thanks for the input though.

Last edited by JammedStab; 28th Dec 2012 at 09:01.