PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helitrans (Norway) AS-350 missing off coast of Germany
Old 27th Dec 2012, 11:26
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
I recall having a discussion about flying a single engined floatless helicopter over the Irish Sea one time (acutally it would have been twice....as it was planned to be a round trip).

My simple reply was "NO...Nope....Not me!".

It was done by someone else....but with a raft, suits, and life jackets aboard.

I don't swim nearly good enough with a helicopter strapped to my butt thus gladly give up those kinds of flights anymore.

Folks....every fatal crash needs to looked at, picked apart, studied, and discussed....to identify all the things that could have been done to avoid it happening and to find ways to mitigate those factors in the future.

It is not afixing "blame" but rather to embrace the right responses to mitigating risks while still accomplishing the tasks at hand.

If I ever died in a helicopter crash....I would want it to be no different. I would like to think in the end it was something besides my own doing that did me in but then don't we all.

These folks did not set out to wind up in the water that day.....but they did and they died as a result. If we do not seek the answers then all we do is write off two of our own for no good benefit. That would be the real tragedy in my view.