PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are you required to maintain a plotting chart?
Old 27th Dec 2012, 10:12
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While the FAA may propose a procedure which is great for FAA aircraft to follow, unless it is an operating requirement of a particular airspace and promulgated as such, it is not binding on any other party.
A foreign aircraft operating into the US is obliged to comply with Part 91, and 129. Part 129 requires the aircraft to be also operated under OpSpecs as approved by the FAA, which does not include a plotting requirement.
Folks,
fdr has it right.
I spent my whole career crossing large amounts of ocean, the last time I saw a plotting chart in my home airline was the last time I saw a navigator, and we had a navigator because it was before INS. Once we got INS on the 707 (yes!, that long ago), the nav. went on the oceanic routes. With doppler, they had long gone on the over land routes.

Sure, we carried a plotting chart in the reversionary nav folder, but only to be used from the last known accurate position, in the event of a total INS failure. In some 30 post navigator years, I never had occasion to open said folder, and I don't recall anybody else in the company having to, either. That covered millions of flight hours.

The only time I did regularly keep a plot, was several years with another carrier, trans Atlantic, and only then for my own protection, because the equipment we were using was such crap (compared to my long term employer), not because there was a regulatory requirement.

Last edited by LeadSled; 27th Dec 2012 at 10:13.