PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "First Nation" A320 in Lagos
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2012, 07:13
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Stallfail

Before chastising others for their English writing abilities, one should be sure of one's own English writing abilities.

I could go through each line of your post, but rather than belabour the point, let me simply state that after ignoring spelling errors, every single sentence contained at least one grammatical error, with some sentences having as many as four such mistakes.

One should not judge the intelligence or abilities of another by their written word, particularly when they are writing in a language that is not their native tongue, and may quite possibly be their fifth or sixth language.

Some of the most brilliant people in the world do not write well in English. Some of the best pilots to ever fly could not write well in English either, so it would be imprudent to determine that a pilot should have to return his license because he does not write well in English. (By the way, I believe it is a certificate, not a license, but that's another discussion)

If pilots were to have their rights to fly removed because they were unable to write well in English, well, you, my friend, would also lose your flying rights. I might also lose mine, should some English professor come along and read this and find a run-on sentence, or mixed verb tense, or some other faus-pas within this text.

As for the definition of awesome, well, it means more than "great", "amazing", "wonderful". Here is the definition from dictionary.reference.com :
awe·some [aw-suh m]
1. inspiring awe: an awesome sight.
2. showing or characterized by awe.
3. Slang. very impressive: That new white convertible is totally awesome.

So to understand awesome, one must know the definition of awe:
awe [aw]
an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures.

Based on the actual definition of awe and awesome, I'd say he used the word perfectly.