PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helitrans (Norway) AS-350 missing off coast of Germany
Old 26th Dec 2012, 20:20
albatross

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts
Long time ago on a powerline patrol southbound on the right side of the line in a 350D a friend had a tail rotor drive shaft failure at 150 ft and as I recall about 70 kts so he had low power to begin with. He did a 30-40 foot run on landing on a very near-bye frozen lake off to his right ( high skid gear with skis 3 pax and full fuel). I am not sure if he retarded the throttle in the air but I seem to recall that he did not. It was a good bit of aviating on his part. I do recall he said it was not a problem. -40C and a 10-20 kt wind from the west.
He had secured the aircraft, put on the blade and body covers by the time some kind soul came to pick him and his pax up about 25 minutes later. He even took off the drive shaft cover to ascertain what the problem was - Shaft had sheared at the bearing 1/2 way down the tail boom.
We flew down with a heater and a new drive shaft 2 days later in the morning and were back with the machine by 1500 hrs.