PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Florida school for FAA licence?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2012, 13:45
Hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver Express Miami

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum so here it goes:

I've just come back from doing my FAA PPL in Miami (out of KTMB).

I used a company called Silver express based at KTMB. They are using some fairly old warrior aircraft and a newer 172. I choose them because it is an owner run business and didn't appear to be that much of a pilot factory.

As with everything, a few things that weren't that great but on balance i would recommend them. Instructors worked early mornings and late nights to get me through the check ride.

I used an ipad app called aviation knowledge to get me through the written - seemed to work well would recommend that for the £6 it cost.

Costs were good $102 p/h wet for at warrior and i think $112 p/h for the 172. I'm now considering going further (instrument etc) and would go back.

I got the TSA bit done before traveling - a lady in oxford did the finger prints, this saved some time and i also used a man called Dr Ian Perry for the FAA medical he's based near Middlewalop, i would absolutely recommend him as i had a difficult medical (i didn't bother with the CAA medical as preexisting conditions made it to much of a challenge).

hope that is of some use.