PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Florida school for FAA licence?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2012, 13:17
PhilD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Florida school for FAA licence?

My situation: I have a JAA PPL licence and about 500 hours total time, but have not flown for just under 3 years as I've been living abroad where there is little or no private flying. I also have a FAA Part 61.75 license with an FAA instrument rating, but obviously my BFR has expired.

I have some time available this spring which I would like to use to go to the US, do some refresher training to get current, and I thought I might as well use the opportunity to get a freestanding FAA Private license so my current one won't invalidate when my JAA licence becomes EASA. I will have about a week spare in the US, which I think should be plenty of time as long as I have access to aircraft and instructor.

So - I'm looking for a suitable flying school to use. It doesn't have to be Florida, although Florida is convenient to get to and the weather is reliable. I've done a whole lot of internet research here and elsewhere but much of the information seems out of date so I wonder if anyone has some recent experience or view they can share, either public or private. Obviously, as I will need a visa the school will need to be SEVIS approved to issue the paperwork. Cost is not the overriding factor - I would rather have good quality instruction, modern and well maintained aircraft and good aircraft availability than rock bottom price. If the school is JAA approved this is useful as I can also get my JAA licence current but that is not essential.

I'm fully aware of the M1 visa and TSA requirements, and also that I need to get FAA and JAA medicals sorted before I can fly, and that it makes sense to get the written out of the way before I go...

Thanks, Phil