PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are you required to maintain a plotting chart?
Old 26th Dec 2012, 00:37
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsiano
I referred to the Federal Aviation Administrations's Advisory Circular 91.70a to discover we are required to maintain a plotting chart where the route segment between the operational service volume of International Civil Aviation Organization standard ground-based NAVAIDS exceeds 725 nautical miles for turbojet aircraft and 450 nautical miles for turboprop aircraft on page 28. On page 29 there is a statement that says "Plotting Procedures for Special Conditions. The Administrator requires plotting procedures for routes of shorter duration that transit airspace where special conditions exist such as reduced lateral and vertical separation standards, high density traffic, proximity, or potentially hostile border areas."

It does not suggest a place where I can find a listing of such routes. Can any of you suggest where I might find this list?
Thanks!
Dick Siano
FlightSafety International
Pilot Instructor
Doesn't this mean any route greater than 725 miles whether published or not(and therefore there would be no published list).

I am very new to this long haul stuff, and I have to admit, after several oceanic crossings, we have not used a plotting chart. Most flights were on published routes but one was on a random route of many lat/long coordiates. We do a route check(paper flight plan as filed with ATC vs ACARS uplinked flight plan on the route page) prior to departure from an ACARS uplinked flight plan and check total distance only which can be off by several miles due whether or not the planned approach was entered.

Perhaps I should know better, but do most airline folks out there crossing oceans pull out a plotting chart and use it. And is this route check sufficient in your opinion.

Thanks

Last edited by JammedStab; 26th Dec 2012 at 00:41.