PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual engine failure on approach
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2012, 12:21
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
My feeling is that given time at the end of sim check/training, one should practice a two-engine failure and "landing" in a two-engine airplane
If you accept a double engine failure and forced landing is a serious exercise that requires proper training in the simulator, then you don't treat it as a "fun" exercise only if time permits at the end of the sim session. It is either worth training for or it is not. The captain of the Air Canada Gimli glider B767 that dead sticked his aircraft flapless on to a abandoned airstrip, made a good point when he stated that if only Air Canada had allowed practice of dead stick landings in simulator training, he would have felt better in the real dead stick landing he performed.

Too many instructors relegate this sort of real hands on flying to "if time allows at the end of the session". Make no mistake about it, but it takes real flying skill to successfuly perform a dead stick landing from cruise altitude. I say that because in my simulator experience, pilots usually crash on their first or second attempt. That being the case, it shows that they need more training until they get it right. There is no second attempt in the real event.

But invariably, if done as a mere "fun" exercise at the end of a sim session, there is no time to have another go if you stuff it up and crash. Personally, I would prefer to be confident at hacking a successful dead stick landing rather than waste sim time on monitoring the automatics in a holding pattern and a coupled approach to autoland.

Last edited by Centaurus; 25th Dec 2012 at 12:27.