PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is being an instructor really worth it?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 17:09
RedBullGaveMeWings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is being an instructor really worth it?

I had a little discussion some days ago on an Italian forum -not the Italian section of PPRuNe- about working as flight instructor with the target still being the same: becoming a pilot of a jet aircraft (regardless whether it is an airliner or corporate) one day.

I am kind of interested in a F-1 Visa flight training program in the USA which would allow me to work as FI for a year in order to get at least 1000 hours TT.
In a few words, everybody told me that it is not worth it. An Italian istructor that currently works in USA (please, don't ask me how because I don't know) told me he has 3000+ hours and the best answer he got so far was "Sorry, but no thanks". Others told me that I'd better not waste a year and spare money for a TR and LT in the latter.

Now, I have to admit one thing: I think that the European system sucks and I do think it is wrong to pay for TR and LT but that's the way it works! Only EASA could do something - maybe...

Unfortunately, I also think that unless something serious will take place (accidents), I will have to pay for it to give a kick to my career.

I see that many positions for FO require 1500 TT and at least 500 hours either on type or on multi-crew aircraft. I though that with 1000 hours TT after having worked as FI might be a good point to start from even with a TR+LT package

I can say that I'm willing also to work in Africa or Asia on pistons or turboprop, but I'd like to get at a serious stage sooner or later...

I don't know what to say or think, I'm just confused... Is being a flight instructor and have 1000 TT everywhere useless in Europe?

Last edited by RedBullGaveMeWings; 23rd Dec 2012 at 17:16.