Thread: Alitalia
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 19:28
eu01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excerpt from the earlier thread:
Originally Posted by eu01
Just before the miraculous birth of the "new" Alitalia (at the end of 2008):
Alitalia has debts amounting to 2.3 billion euros.
What's changed in 2010?
The new, smaller Alitalia is still losing almost €1 million a day (net loss of 326 million € as announced in the 2009 12 month result), the break-even target being postponed again. Not my business, perhaps. I just wonder where from all this money required to keep AZ afloat keeps pouring in?
And the latest report:
Alitalia is once more on the verge of bankruptcy as it loses 630,000 euros ($832,000) a day in addition to the 730 million euro deficit accumulated over four years under private ownership, the Repubblica daily said Friday.
So, let's count: some 2,300,000,000 euros forgiven by Berlusconi + 730,000,000 deficit accumulated over recent years adds up to over 3 billions EUR. The debt keeps growing, the Italian debt growing as well. The (small?) part of the mysterious silence around so-called "new" Alitalia finally broken, so my old question is here again: who will pay the final bill for all these nationalistic frills of Mr. Berlusconi and other politicians materialized by the very existence of chronically inefficient "national" carrier?