PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual engine failure on approach
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 19:18
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desert 185...I"ve heard the same thing. And from a pretty good source ( in Washington DC at the FAA building). And to the poster who said, RUBISH, well , enjoy your views.

Alot can be suggested to avoid the problems oulined by the origninal poster. Losing all engines on final...wow.

First, try not to lose all engines on final...make sure you have fuel and can use it. Protect the engines by running the ignition system. Protect the engines with anti ice as appropriate.

I was flying with a really good friend in a dC9 about 20 years ago...He looked at me and said: where would you set down if we lost all engines...and we both pointed to the same field. It was like magic...just the perfect place to land.

So, a good pilot will always be looking for a place to land, and not just a single engine general aviation plane. I can think of half a dozen major airports in the US and where I would land if we lost both/all engines. You can ask specifically at which airport. But one of the only ones without much of an option is KMDW (chicago midway)

And again, Desert 185...I'm with you...I would argue and put money on it...if SULLY were flying a DC9 he would have made Charlotte on time. If he were flying a 737-200 he could have made a runway. If he were flying a 737-300 he could have made a runway.