PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey Work Uganda
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2012, 13:00
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggested the 206 because the spec appeared to indicate an interest in safety which, under the circumstances, seemed likely to be based upon the commonly held misconception that "a twin is necessarily safer than a single" which leads to the assumption that light piston twins are therefore safer than a single turbine, or even single pistons which I think the statistics clearly show is not the case. Are not piston twins not right at the top of the accident stats? Personally I'd prefer to be in a simple aeroplane at low level with (probably) a low hours pilot than in a complex fast twin. And from what I saw of accidents in Africa it was the piston twins that featured in most of them...

SRT, agreed, hot and high engine failure in an Islander or similar perf limited single-and-a-half is
precisely
why I made that post. That would be a daft choice - but easily made by someone with less knowledge of aviation than someone with a bit more.

I agree a Twotter/406 might be better safety wise but against a Caravan I doubt it is much different. Cost would be though.

Personally I'd be using a piston single for cost reasons, followed by a Caravan. Piston twins would be at the very end of my list.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 21st Dec 2012 at 13:05.