PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to improve when you are older...
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 16:16
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mix of things required. 1200 is not a lot, especially if instructing.

Good instructor has their hands and feet of the controls for most of the time, so the student knows they are doing the flying. So can be difficult to keep up to speed on some of the exercises, especially as a newly-minted FI.

I often use a trial flight to allow me to demonstrate just one thing - ie a climbing turn, a levl turn at 60 degree bank, a PFL etc.

So, Mr/s Bloggs, if you decide to carry on your training, we look at situations where you have to co-ordinate power, pitch and roll. We normally demonstrate the manouvre, then talk the student through it with them at the controls and then let them have a go. Let me just show you: and into speil and demo.

I then offer them the talked through part, but if they decline that it doesn't matter: I have had the "hands on" with some tight parameters.

And there is still the 25 mins to see their house from the air.

Then there are the times when the airfield is quiet and you cut the engine at 2,000ft and glide down - my fave was to aim for the third stripe along at Cumbernauld - then if I was a little short, I still made the threshold! (and I could then assess just how short I was!)

And just get those checks etc well off pat. Leaves the mind free to concentrate on other things, such as "situational awareness"

Basically, developing instinctive reactions.

That only comes with practice, practice and more practice.

But it has to be focused practice - with measurable targets to be assessed and attained.

As an instructor, you should be already doing this and teaching it to your students so they can self-improve.

I don't think aeros and IR is going to help: it is just learning more about new things instead of improving old ones.