PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving passengers control
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 13:27
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't it strike you as a little strange that you're the only person holding this view on a forum full of very experienced pilots (not classing myself as one!)?

My interpretation doesn't mean that at all. As I said, it's the PIC's responsibility to ensure the safety of the aircraft at all times. Letting an unqualified person take off and land whilst they are dozing would not be doing so. Where as letting an unqualified person fly straight and level whilst they monitor traffic, controls and instruments would be.

I spend a lot of time in court, albeit not aviation related, and have a very good understanding of how decisions are reached. A judge will not 'lean' in any direction, they will take the literal meaning of the rules as they are written.

In a situation where a non-qualified pax was flying and subsequently crashed a plane, the judge would decide whether the PIC had maintained the safety of the plane or not (most likely not, if the pax had crashed it) and base the outcome on that fact alone.

Last edited by Ds3; 19th Dec 2012 at 13:29.