PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving passengers control
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 11:30
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I have passengers I often ask them if they want a go at the controls. I only do so if we are in straight and level flight, suitable weather, clear of busy airfields (where thats possible to determine) and controlled airspace. I always keep my hands on the controls and say I will follow through with them. That gives them the confidence that there is someone really in control. Tell them it only requires very slight movement on the yoke - and demonstrate it. If they're doing OK, loosen your control of the yoke, or let go completely but dont be too far away in case you need to take avoiding action. I dont see the harm in that, but it depends on your level of confidence, and your confidence in the other person.

Thats in contrast though to leaving them to fly the plane from the right hand seat responsible for keeping a lookout and navigation while you swing round and talk to people in the back for 5 minutes. That would be silly. Regardless of what happens, you are the PIC and are responsible for whatever happens.

Last edited by piperarcher; 19th Dec 2012 at 11:32.