PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss RJ captain "struggled" to fly without a flight director to tell him what to do
Old 18th Dec 2012, 16:05
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick

http://www.pprune.org/7343900-post102.html
I was wrong.
I am now sure that it will be needed some pteurosaurus help somewhere, somehow.
How small it is, as far offset, the std.by horizon is always an attitude indicator, and I challenge anyone to argue that his instructor taught him that it is secondary to the indications of the altimeter and variometer: DO NOT CHASE THE INDICATIONS OF THESE WITH THAT. For each configuration, speed, flight path and segment of an instrumental procedure, there is a prefixed "Attitude" and a "Set of thrust”. That's the secret to perform an instrument approach with raw data.
To BOAC
Hey all you 'aces' - read the OP - no-one is talking about 'raw data' flying! The incident I am reading about involves 'difficulty' flying on the Stdby AH. How many of you obvious aces have done that recently and accurately? Remember it takes only a degree or so of pitch to generate a 2500' RoC at high speed. Can you ALL read the stdby AI to that accuracy? No, I didn't think so.
If I remember well during climb, above FL100 with almost 300 KIAS a 10° ANU is needed to maintain a 2500'/min climb (against a few degrees ANU for level flight with same speed).
To begin the descent from cruise it is necessary to reduce the attitude more than a single degree, but if I remember well the MD11, from about 4°ANU to about 1° AND to get to Vz -2500.
I remember that in one of my the last simulator Check on the B73 we had a double failure and made a "Manual reversion" approach and with Std.by instruments only.
P.S.
Even if I were King I'd stay away from sycophants and would encourage critics to get better!
Fly Safe
DOVE