PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging Time Under The Hood IMC
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2012, 19:51
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait a second...if both pilots are PPL single engine land, there can be only one pilot in command. and you better decide before you takeoff who that is.

...if you are practicing IMC...are you in the clouds, or are you simulating instrument flight under the hood (view limiting device)? You cannot file IFR or accept an IFR clearance unless the PIC is instrument rated, current and the plane is properly equipped.

the right seat guy really can't be PIC unless he is a CFI or better.

I suppose you could log the right seat time as safety pilot time/second in command because you are required for that operation...but the MOMent the left seat pilot takes off the hood, the right seat guy is JUST A PASSENGER. Why? Because you don't need a safety pilot to fly without the hood.

I strongly suggest you contact your local FSDO (flight standards district office) ask to speak to an inspector and ask him. I've never logged safety pilot time...but then I've been an instructor and logged it PIC dual given.

I'm sure you may find many opinions...so check with the FAA...and keep your landing light on for enhanced visibility of your plane...be careful!

Last edited by sevenstrokeroll; 17th Dec 2012 at 19:59.