PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL skills test advice
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 09:29
pilot in command

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for the PPL skills test.

Basic advice- on your nav trip maintain the heading, altitude and airspeed as precisely as you can. If you do this (an assuming the wind forecast is accurate) you will not be blown of track and your ETAs will be precise. This means that you will not have to make any corrections. Making correction error calculation dn revising ETAs are fairly simple, but on your test I would just focus on flying it accurately. You want to make it as simple as you can and not have to make all sorts of corrections.

Also, tell the examiner what you are doing: ie, I am overhead Dunkeld, routing to Kelty and I estimate Kelty at time 34. Do this at the start of the leg and also at the 1/2 way point to keep him updated.

As for the PFL, this is the part most people fail on: Make sure you turn into wind and set your set up just as you would in a normal circuit (depending on height) again give the examiner a brief. If you find you are too low, do a quick engine warm here and there to give you an advantage. Remember it's best to stay high, then you can use flaps etc to get down quicker. REMEMBER THE EXAMINER MAY DO AN EFATO ON THE CLIMB OUT SO BE PREPARED!

Stalling- I think it's good airmanship to tell the examiner of the symptoms of the stall. Not only is he assessing your recovery techniques but he wants to make sure you can identify an on coming stall; ie high nose attitude, decaying airspeed, stick shaker. REMEMBER AND DO A HASEL CHECK!

Steep turns- quite easy, just make sure you do a good lookout.

VOR tracking- just make sure you tune and identify the VOR, again tell the examiner what radial you are on, the DME distance from the station and the ETA.

Also if you want to go the extra mile, ask the instructor his weight, give him a detailed pax brief and good take-off brief. When taxiing out, ask your examiner if he wishes to check his brakes.

Remember to read up on you aircraft general knowledge, some examiners come on the walk round with you so ask you various questions like oil type, transponder antenna, creep marks etc.

If you make a mistake, move on DO NOT get bogged down and assume you have failed.