PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of mobile phone as a backup device
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 09:25
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of mobile phone as a backup device

Background
I use a backup utlility to perform near real time encrypted backups of the documents folder on my work laptop; as soon as a file lock is released, the file is backed up (replicated). One such backup is written to a RAID1 NAS that lives in another building, and the other to a USB HDD plugged in to the laptop. Whenever I travel - which is frequently - the USB HDD is slipped in to my jacket pocket and ensures that if my laptop is stolen or fails, I can still easily conduct what I travelled to do so long as I can borrow another computer.

It struck me though that my HTC one X smartphone has 32GB storage of which 26GB is currently free - and the laptop backup only consumes 7GB. Given that I charge the telephone from the laptop anyway, it is tempting to use the HTC for document backup in place of the USB HDD.

Question
The HTC storage is NAND and therefore with finite number of write cycles, so am I asking for trouble using it as a frequently written backup device?

I have no idea what performance maintenance (think "TRIM") or life-enhancing software is installed. The smartphone needs to last another 18 months before it is replaced. No, I am not interested in a cloud solution; it is an answer to the question that I seek, please.

Many thanks as always,
TLXV