PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious pilot shortage since the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2012, 00:04
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Sully summed it up pretty well.

And if the day ever comes when airlines DO once again offer wages and conditions commensurate with the level of responsibility and judgment required of professional pilots, there will be little problem filling pilot slots. In order to attract the kind of people with the dedication and ability to do this job consistently and well over the long haul, there has to be a return on the investment of time, money and talent required just to qualify for an entry level pilot job.

Admittedly the age 65 rule coupled with the longest period of souring economic conditions for middle class workers since the 1930s is leading toward a bit of a "bubble" in demand for pilots. It's nothing that hasn't been anticipated for some time and couldn't easily be met by making the job a bit more attractive to the tens of thousands of pilots who already have the requisite experience but can't or won't work for fast food wages.

If the same people who constantly lobby congress for decreased regulation in order to promote a "free market" really believed their own press releases then they'd have no problem with paying more for an "in demand" human resource commodity like pilots. Another cost of doing business like fuel, airplanes and CEOs.

If airline fares have to go up to support the cost of doing business the demand for air travel will find balance with the cost of doing so. That's the real definition of a "free market". But that's apparently not the kind of balance being sought by the airline industry or any other for that matter. Not when a CEO can collect millions even as they drive their airline into bankruptcy and dump their employee pay/benefits/pensions with the full blessing of the government they bought and paid for.

So in summary don't expect pay of conditions to change very favorably anytime soon. My best advice is to marry into a rich family with the financial means to support your hobby!

In my estimation the best outcome from the coming hiring bubble will be simply that a few more slots will become available for moderately experienced pilots at a slightly increased starting pay. And that only if the government holds the line on experience requirements. Otherwise we'll see airline hiring go the same way it has in Europe: To the highest bidder!

Disclaimer:

The opinions expressed here are solely my own and based upon my personal observation, involvement and experience in the aviation industry as a pilot, mechanic and instructor over the last 28 years. It's a good thing I didn't put all my eggs in one basket or I'd be even worse off than I am! But like it or not aviation will probably remain my livelihood for the rest of my journey even if I never find another pilot job.

Best wishes,

westhawk

Last edited by westhawk; 9th Dec 2012 at 00:13.