PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:26
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Despite being retired for a number of years now, I am still frquently asked to give talks on Police Air Support.

I don't think that many Senior Police officers today realise just how popular the Police helicopter is/was with the public.

It was brought home to me some time ago, when somone in the hall I was speaking at, had the sheer temerity to compain about the noise of the helicopter! He was rapidly put down by a number of old age pensioners who told him in no uncertain manner that the helicopter made them feel safe at night.

It would seem that many old people worry about crime at night, especially now that "the bobby on the beat" is a thing of the past. They cannot hear, and are therefore not comforted by the patrol car passing their door. But they do hear the helicopter, and know that the police are up there watching over them!

A bit sad I know, but it is true! So I agree with the comment above about wasted hours. Those hours over the town or City are not wasted, they are providing a valuable service in bolstering a waning confidence in our service and also increasing the pressure on those intent on committing crime.

tigerfish