PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe ATCO, NATS application process Q's
Old 6th Dec 2012, 09:17
whitelighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I'm 18, live in the north east of England and am about to send off my initial application form to NATS. I have read a few threads on this site, but I'd rather attempt to get my exact questions answered rather then infer answers from other peoples inquiries.

Firstly, are there any programmes, books or the like that can help me to prepare for the application/interview process? And do they provide any booklets to assist with preparation?
Your best of with general reseach. Air Traffic Control by Graham Duke is a good start. Play the games on the NATS ATCOcareers website and learn a bit about the company will always stand you in good stead. NATS will give you a very basic document to learn for Satge 1 which is tested on the day. Bit out of date in terms of info but thats not really the point - the poisnt is they want to see you can be a) bothered and b) have the ability to learn it.

Secondly, on the website it says "There is a slight problem with those candidates who are aged 18, as they have to be 21 in order to hold a radar licence", but does not give much further explanation, what implications does this have?
The implications are, until you are 21 you cant hold a license. That means, while they will take an application from an 18 year old they may delay the start of your training or put you into a disciplin that takes longer to train. In exceptional cercumstances a license can be granted someone who is 20, but this is rare.

Are the a number of dates flexible for the interviews, or will i have to arrange cover for my current shifts at work?
There are usually a mix of dates, and if non suit then more will come available. Interest is at an all time high with applicants so dates get full pretty quickly. its just a case of keeping an eye on the website until something suitable comes up.

I'm currently trying to organise a visit to my closest control tower and airport, in the hope that this will aid me in the interviews.
Never a bad idea to see the job in action as it were, but other than seeing if it is something you want to do and therefor improving your own self motivation, there is no real benefit until (if) you get to Stage 3 of the selection process as that is the only interview

Apologies in advance for the rookie-ness of my post, and a thanks in advance for any replies!