PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 4th Dec 2012, 16:11
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titanium Strip

The conclusion the authority made in their report exudes a skill in legalese. It is conclusive, and defensive. This is not in the mission statement, and reminds one of the ad hoc release of a memorandum exonerating Airbus from "additional" mechanical issues with 447.

Be that as it may, the photography post crash shows me no aggressive abrasion from the concrete on the Strip. It is unlikely the strip pierced the tire, then encountered no further contact with the runway such that it was not grooved, and beaten up with extensive deformation. It looks rather pristine having survived what is proposed.

As to the spacer, i need to read some metallurgical forensics of both the axle and hub to conclude there was no result from a missing thrust bearing. I would be looking for signs of friction heat, loss of surface metal, etc.

If the lawyer concluded the spacer was redundant, unnecessary, then there would need to be proof of same. Not so sure the fire might not have originated with sparks from the 'H' frame, or Hub..... How is it the tires were recovered intact, were they thrown clear of the fireball?

Last edited by Lyman; 4th Dec 2012 at 16:13.