PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation with Canadian pilots?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 23:14
grounded27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pilot lands 10 inches left of centerline and the examiner scolds and says "good grief I can't believe you just did that!". Does the student pilot scoff at the critic, accept the criticism, ignore the examiner or take the critique in stride and try to do better next time? You said you we testing for a cadet program. I wouldn't be the least surprised if this is what was going on.
The cultural differences between the Americas and British,AZ/OZ when it comes to aviation training are astounding. Sure in the Americas we want to excel and there is a healthy level of competition but it can get quickly unhealthy eg. floating down the runway trying to have a smother landing on the centre line while you lose valuable runway length etc. I believe in the mantra I hear often, a good landing is one you walk away from.

I an AMT/Flight mech am blown away at the training my brothers across the pond go through. We understand ourselves that it is impossible to retain much of what we are taught. There is more of a concentration on continual training and experience here. I learn more from the people around me than I ever have from any instructor.

Bottom line is usually true, those who can DO, those who can't TEACH!

Last edited by grounded27; 28th Nov 2012 at 23:17.