PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul, Tips, Tipping. First/Economy
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 00:28
Hippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Haul, Tips, Tipping. First/Economy

Hi Guys,
My background: Former ATSA, until recently, only ever flown short-haul, budget airlines in Europe, but I find myself more frequently being SLF on long-haul. I just wanted to ask about tipping.
I know that the primary role of Cabin Crew is the safety of all passengers ... BUT ... it has become apparent to me that customer service takes up a lot of CC time . So, I guess my question is actually two questions:
Do long-haul CC have separate 'grades'? Do more experienced CC work First, while the junior crew members work Economy? Or maybe the other way around? Is working the First cabin considered harder, or more onerous, than working Economy, or vice versa? I can imagine First pax being more demanding, but then maybe Economy work is more intensive. Which is considered the 'best position'? Which do you prefer? Is there a salary difference?
My second question - do First pax normally tip for good service? Is it expected? Is it appreciated? Do you ever get tips from economy pax?
I'm only asking because I dream of being able to fly First one day, and I was discussing the matter of tipping CC with my wife. She said 'Don't be silly, they're just doing their job', while was trying to maintain my stance of 'Good service deserves recognition, even at 33,000ft'
Thanks for reading,
Phil.