PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation with Canadian pilots?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2012, 05:35
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown inside and outside of Canada, here are my observations:

1. Pilots in general are very clannish, every pilot thinks that he's had the best training and everyone from his background is also amongst the best. The arrogance comes with the job, I think a little bit of arrogance/confidence is important in this job, too much of it will kill you or put you in positions you'd rather not be.,

2. Canadian training is a little less technical on theory but its more common sense. Since I've started flying with people from a JAR background I find them to be very strict with procedures, but that does not make them better operators of an aeroplane.(sometimes being too rigid is not a good thing). In general pilots from Europe come from an area of heavy traffic, and if you're not strict with the rules up there you'll be kicked out of the airspace quickly. On the other hand in Canada we have miles and miles of Class E and G airspace to play around in.

3. RT. In Canada and the States its very relaxed, especially since almost everyone is a native english speaker. Many foreign pilots comment on this when they fly to North America. RT outside of Europe is a lot more strict and it takes a bit of getting used to.

In conclusion you can see that because of the environment in which each pilot is "brought up" the end result is different. To be honest it takes a while to adjust but you'll get there.

Last edited by Airmann; 25th Nov 2012 at 05:39.