PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adopt a Military Grave
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2012, 09:21
abra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like many others following this thread, I look after Commonwealth War Graves Commission markers in local cemeteries.
If you are interested in doing the same thing, it would be best to get in touch with the CWGC to ask where you could help most effectively. Whilst there might be a few omissions, the CWGC do have an on-going system for regularly checking their markers. They are cleaned every two years and checked for damage and inscription legibility every three. The CWGC would still like people to check the markers from time to time. They particularly ask that if needed, the marker is cleaned with water and a soft bristle brush. (I was specifically asked not to use any form of bleach as their people use an acceptable biocide, which doesn’t damage the stone). The CWGC ask that the surrounding area is kept cut and tidy, that the marker is checked for damage/graffiti etc and if found is reported and that the grave is commemorated at Remembrance Time.
Apart from asking me not to use bleach, they also asked that I contact the churchyard’s operator before doing anything. This resulted in reactions from ‘Anyone who wants to look after my graveyard is a friend of mine’, to a highly protective stance with an interview on site with vicar and curate and discussion of possible damage to wild orchids in the next field!
If you do contact the CWGC (Mrs Kerry Groves, CWGC, Jenton Road, Sydenham, Leamington Spa, Warks, CV31 1XS, expect a slow response as they are very busy) you will be told of those markers they would like assistance with. These are not confined to the standard CWGC marker and all of those are not necessarily Portland stone. They also include Private Markers, which were erected by the families and are of varying design. Whilst the CWGC takes no responsibility for Private Marker maintenance, it is keen the name is still clearly legible. ‘Keeping the name alive’ is important to the CWGC.
Finally, the CWGC is only responsible for those killed in the First and Second World Wars. You will see other markers of slightly differing shapes that have been erected by other organisations such as the MoD. The CWGC has no jurisdiction over these.
And now back to researching Gunner 273336 Ernest James Day RA who died 94 years and a week ago today.

Last edited by abra; 2nd Dec 2012 at 14:58.