PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FE / CRE Examiners Assessing English Language Proficiency
Old 10th Nov 2012, 19:27
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FE / CRE Examiners Assessing English Language Proficiency

I cannot find it to hand to quote but, to paraphrase EASA FCL AMC, "a
candidate's language proficiency can be assessed by Flight Test or during
normal instruction".

CAP 804 Section 4 Part M states:
b) At a Flight Test
Type Rating Examiners (TREs), Flight Examiners (FEs) and Class Rating Examiners
(CREs), who have themselves been assessed asproficient at Level 6 in English
and are authorised by the CAA as English Language Assessors, may include
assessment of the language proficiency of existingholders of licences issued by
the UK CAA (Part-FCL or national) as part of the licenceproficiency check that is
conducted for the revalidation or renewal of arating or certificate. If the examiner
assesses the candidate as being Expert Level 6 (thestandard of a native speaker
of English) he may certify to that effect bysubmitting a Form SRG1199 to the CAA.
If the Examiner considers that the applicant is notat Level 6 the Examiner must
not give a proficiency endorsement. The applicantshould then seek an expert
assessment, such as through a CAA approved language school as under (c) below.
A UK FRTOL held by a licence holder will not bevalid unless and until the applicant
has a valid endorsement oflanguage proficiency at Level 4, 5 or 6.

So No:
- Just talking with a candidate
- Flying with the candidate (unless an LPC) - So bi-annual flight with Instructor (who is also and Examiner) does not count.
- Initial Rating Test (ie IR, IMC, MEP doesn't count) which is just barmy!

From
Flyer Air Portal 9th November 2012 GA News
Ray Elgy, Head of Licensing and Training Standards at the CAA,said, ”Obtaining a Level 6 endorsement is relatively straightforward. AnyFlight Examiner can give a pilot a non-expiring Level 6 endorsement on thebasis of a simple conversation on the ground. Pilots whose licences have, orare due to expire, should therefore contact their local Flight Examiner as soonas possible.”

So either:
- Flyer is now the CAA's method of communicating rule changes to the Aviation Community.
- Poor reporting
- Or CAA Head of Licensing doesn't know the rules his own depatment have promulgated.

I would write/email CAA to point out these "anomalies" but I am just one
person (and my previous emails to them remain unanswered).

Is anyone on PPRuNe a member of an organisation (AOPA, Flyer, etc)? Which has a greater chance of at least being heard (if not listened to) by CAA in order that they could ammend their Directions which are currently, I understand, creating more work for themselves anyway as they are having
to reject EASA Part-FCL applications due to no Language Proficiency assessment being on record.