PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 12:47
10002level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have lived in the Madrid area for the past three years. Firstly, I would like to extend my sympathies with those affected by the rationalisation. Nobody (with the possible exception of Microburst2002) likes to see fellow aviators put into a difficult position.

There is a general reluctance to accept the reality of the economic situation and this may be at the root of the problem. Yes, it is not nice to suddenly have to face the truth, but it is important to face reality. The reality is that Spain is deeply in recession and reform is long overdue. Iberia is not the only casualty, but it needs a life saving operation to be saved. Over the past few years Spanair, Air Madrid, Mint Airways, and Air Comet have all gone tits up. EasyJet are closing their Madrid base in a few weeks, Ryanair are cutting back their routes from Madrid, and Air Europa have retired their 767 fleet. And now Iberia are to lay off 4,500. This is the reality of recession. Another general strike will not change things, no more than taxiing around the airport at 5kts will. Efficient working practices can, in the long term, provide a stable platform for recovery.

Last edited by 10002level; 20th Nov 2012 at 07:35. Reason: incorrect