PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 4th Nov 2012, 19:33
polochristo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlGoreng, I suspect he was alluding to some Alteon simulator checkers who were ex-B757 and really believed the T-7 to be a supped up 757/767. These blokes have never physically flown a triple wheeled bogie B777 before and they think the sim is 100% accurate
I personally had the misfortune of getting one such idiot trying to teach the finer points of the Carnarsie VOR 13R approach at JFK! He had never ever experienced operating into KJFK let alone conducting the Carnarsie approach in his sorry looking B757 but had the haughtiness/skygodliness of criticizing our not fully aware of the physical landmarks along the approach course prior to the turn onto the final approach. And all based on the sim visuals! Good lord! I am no ace and in the sim( night scenario ), I was eyeballing the lead in lights, the runway lights, the threshold lights and the Vasis. I had no time for the high ways, hotels, race courses, etc. Because of the quarteing crosswinds he had given, I landed precisely albeit without fully decrabbing which led to the twisty shake of the T-7. I had an earful during the debrief..luckily he couldn't fail me because that approach was not in the check profile but he indicated he would if it was. I protested that if the landing was out of limits the sim would have recorded a crash ( this was before the upgrade to the sim; previously the sim would indicate a " crash " if the side Gs or vertical Gs was beyond limits ); he brushed it off as was " his " call. I would say he is a prime candidate for deathbed confession.