PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help us to keep our european cargo jobs
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 18:28
edie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United Parcel Service Management Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

Operator
Our next question will be a follow-up from the line of Mr. Tom Wadewitz of JPMorgan.

Thomas R. Wadewitz - JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division
Yes. Scott, I think you might be disappointed if you didn't get at least a second question on TNT. So I'll try to give you one more on that. I think there have been -- there's been a lot of noise about what the EC is going to do and the idea that they are being really granular in how they're defining markets, that, that might be a challenge. Is there any kind of a high-level comments you can give us in terms of the SO? Did this end up being a bit more challenging, more stringent than you would've expected? Would you say, at the end of the day, it's pretty reasonable what you have in there? Can you kind of shade it in terms of being a little better or a little worse than you would've expected on the SO?

D. Scott Davis - Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Executive Committee
I think that it's a complex transaction. And whenever you get into phase 2, you spent a lot of time with the Commission, and our team has spent a lot of time with Commission. I think it's been good, open dialogue. I think we're exchanging information. We got a ways to go. And certainly, we just got the SO Friday night. So we're obviously going through that right now. Over next couple of weeks, we'll spend a lot of time responding to that. I know Dan Brutto has spent a lot of the last couple of months in Europe on this project. Any comments, Dan?

Daniel J. Brutto - Senior Vice President and President of UPS International
Yes, sure. I think what I could say is we both have -- they have a case team. We have a team that's working constructively. As Scott said, it's very complex. It's all the 27 member states of the EU that they're tasked with taking a hard look at, and it's just part of the process. The SO is part of the process. We'll go through that. We'll have our response back. But the good news is the team have -- the teams have open dialogue, and certainly, we're going to turn in the documents that is required by the Commission within the timeframe.

D. Scott Davis - Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Executive Committee
And we're confident we'll get clearance and we'll get it early in 2013, and we're committed to the transaction.

Last edited by edie; 23rd Oct 2012 at 18:30.