PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has your UK CAA I/R lapsed by more than 7/6/3 years?
Old 4th Oct 2012, 09:54
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Monty. I have followed, albeit a bit loosely, this thread & congrats to those who have got organized. You must sign up, as a body & get this jointly sorted. Press your home MP's & get questions asked in the House. I mentioned somewhere else that in the early 70's the CAA messed up again. Having completed a fully sponsored CPL/IR at an approved school (Oxford) & blissfully enjoying life as a RHS jet Jock outa LHR, the CAA blindly announced that the qualifyer for the ATPL would be an additional 5 hrs twin time. We all went mad, shouting & screaming but few did anything. BALPA did nothing. I wrote to the Head of the Board of Trade (that is what it was) and a Lord Boyd Carpenter wrote back & expressed that although it was frustrating, the Aviation Authority was obliged to set the professional standards very high. Yeah, too high Dad for a struggling jet jockey with two kids, huge mortgage & ageing Citroen Ami 8 ! 5 hrs in a twin com at £50 per hour (yes, it really was only £50 in those glory days but still beyond me). I threatened, amongst other things, to set fire to myself & my CPL outside the B.O.T. Offices & engaged a hit man from the Mafia. They quietly & reluctantly climbed down & stated the blindingly obvious " for those who have attended an "Approved" course of Training, the additional 5hrs will be waived.

I am not saying that I did it. Well, OK, I am. I did continue to look over my shoulder for the rest of my career. BUT, guys, get organized and fight these crass twerps for really messing up very straightforward joint rulings.